Last year I wrote a post about ticking leadlighting off my bucket list. I hadn't realized that leadlighting wasn't a common term - I assumed everybody interchanged it with stained glass, but apparently that's not the case..... Anyway, I made a very simple stained glass image that resulted in a few cuts and bandaids - and an amazing sense of achievement when I'd finished it.
CRAFT AND CREATIVITYI'm not the craftiest person in the world (I've posted about being referred to as the "AntiCraft" previously!) I find most craft projects incomprehensible - I lack the flair or the creative juices needed to immerse myself in anything beyond a bit of colouring in.
Then, along came stained glass - it fits very neatly into my skill set. Having spent many, many years in the dental field, I have great attention to detail and good manual dexterity. Both of these are go-to qualities when it comes to cutting glass and fitting it all together - even some of the tools had direct correlations to ones I'd used in my hygienist days of old. Needless to say, I've finally found a craft that I'm good at.
WHAT TO DO NEXT?
After finishing my starter project (the candle pictured above), I decided to take a risk and embark on something bigger and more challenging. We have a staircase in our house that has an extremely utilitarian set of railings - very basic and not particularly attractive to look at. I've spent years wondering what to do with it, and then I had an idea where the stained glass skills could come into their own.
Above is the original staircase and below is the staircase with some lily templates in place. I'm not very arty, so my husband designed the lilies (I'm a big fan of calla lilies) to fit in between the rails - with the concept of removing every second railing to allow for each panel to fit.
This is how our stairs looked over Christmas and New Year while we let it settle in our heads and got feedback from visitors - and then I started putting it all together at the beginning of February. I wrote a post in the early days (that you can read here) about the initial stages and doing the first panel. From there it progressed in leaps and bounds (you get faster as you get into the swing of things). Many, many hours later - (several days worth of hours) - it's a very painstaking process, I'm finished and we even had the railing powder coated black to match in with the lead.
THE END RESULT
We're really happy with the end result - it is all that we'd expected it to be and more. I think it will be the only big project I do in the house (we don't want to live in a cathedral) but it's nice to have something that I actually created in our home.